ERP selection plays an important role in successful implementation. If the selection goes wrong whole project will be fail and waste of money as well as time. There are some basic and important criteria of selecting ERP software.
* Functionalities and features the software should match with the current business processes.
* Easy customization possibility will give double marks- the software package should provide the ability to customize easily
* ERP software should be user friendly and easy to use and understand- This has an impact on the acceptance of the system by employees and the cost of training.
* ERP software technology should not be very old. It should be made of new technology like Web Services, SOAP etc.
* Scalability possibility whenever required
* Market share of the present time in similar vertical
* How good is software in your vertical
* What kind of warranty and guarantee is provided by the software company
* Cost of the software system
* Cost of AMC charges for software updates and upgrades
* What are the TCO (total cost of ownership)
* Hardware requirements for the new system
* Server and PCs requirements for new system
* If software is web based, what are the things required for connectivity?
* What will be the customization cost
* Do not hurry in selecting the ERP software- the process could take anywhere between 1 months to 8 months.
Hope, I have discussed nearly all important factors which will help you in selecting right ERP software for your organization. Last but not the least vendor qualifying criteria should be defined separately. You may read my article " things to consider for selection of ERP vendor".